I should start measuring the hours I’m putting into these. It’s A4 sized, but I’ve spent substantial time on the details. I think I’m OK with taking a lot of time – it means less updates, but at the end, it’s the quality that matters. Working slow is just kinda my thing.
Then it actually kinda fits well to show work-in-progress steps on my Patreon art page. It means more updates there, but also that I can show stuff without promising results to too big of an audience… some pictures might just not work out after all. I will have to rework the page there a bit in the coming weeks, so it’s an advantage there that it’s not big. Maybe remove some higher possible pledges and promises of content, but make the basic promise more clear. I’ll stick to the lottery idea – but have to create more for that.
Detail view: Small birch offshoot.
Detail view: Birch trees.
Also getting comfortable with my … let’s call it media strategy. My still relatively new Instagram art spot seems to work well with outreach – the advantage over Facebook and such is that a lot of new people see the content, not just old friends. Still a long way to go here (just over 100 followers currently).
I mentioned earlier that I’m trying a Reddit art profile. I would prefer it to all others – Reddit is more open, and friendly to creators. And that also is true for the community. But still they have to change stuff to make it work … and there is some resistance by users to the changes. It seems thought it’s moving in the right way (recently they added “original-content” tags for some subs), so I’ll stick to it. I just don’t trust Twitter/Instagram and Facebook with their secretive algorithms. Loish (an artist really rocking at social media) figures they tend to block outgoing links and Patreon stuff on Facebook. Maybe not yet on Instagram – but I just find it annoying not to know what goes on – and giving control over my content to them.
Detail view: Phoenix.
Detail View of Forest Ink Drawing: Mushrooms.
So maybe there will be better alternatives coming around – there is still room for adjustments. It would be nice to reduce the amount of publishing – right now it takes hours to make all previews (ever site wants different formats) and coming up with tags and all of this. All part of the job. But preferably I would like to spend that time making art.
Two more drawings from the Inktober! One you can win in my art lottery, and the other is now for sale.
Both are experiments with new materials. The Red Riding Hood drawing is an ink wash on watercolor paper – definitely a technique I’ll use more often. The dye-based ink feathers into different colors, which gives it a pleasant effect.
“Red Riding Hood” – ink on 23 x 31 cm hot-pressed cotton paper.
You can win this image by taking part in my monthly artwork lottery.
The other drawing is my first foray into using wood panels. This allows scratching back to white. A great way to work – and there is definitely more to come in this technique too. The durability is perfect – together with the quality ink, the varnish and the quality grounding, it’ll last 500 years at minimum.
You can now buy this original drawing in my web shop. And while I was at it, I also added two originals of my machiya paintings there.
Due to imaginary public demand, I’ll publish the pencil drawing of the medieval town map that I posted earlier.
This one I used as overlay to give the highly detailed 3d picture a more old time look. I got some requests about the other map, so just as with this one: It’s under the creative commons license. You can use it for free if you also share your product for free. I have also higher resolution versions if needed. Anything you sell needs a permission for usage.
You can of course hire me if you need illustrations in that or other styles. Would love to do an high quality ink map one day.
Two more artworks for a cancelled game playing in medieval times.
I already showed two character model sheets of “Quest’n’Goblins” earlier. Here is a little towns map – I tried to give it a medieval style by making a pencil version of it, tracing it on top of the monitor… good for your arm muscles.
The latter artwork is a scene from inside one of the infamous taverns of the village.
Some artworks from the game “Quest’n’Goblins”, that sadly didn’t see the light of day.
These are designs for the male hero (female one and some other stuff following in other posts). The “Model Sheet” is the final goal here, which means it’s not a marketing artwork, but directly for production: posed and dressed for being modeled in a 3D software.
I worked a lot with pencils for this project – especially for the early sketching. And then colored the final chosen ones. A very effective and fun workflow, that prevents the endless doodling and redoing that can come from working digital all the way.
Pencil sketches for the male hero design….
…of which the client chose the first design, which I then detailed out.
The final colored model sheet. There is not much armor – as those you would collect in the game.
Here is one little sketch that was left over:
Not a model sheet – but I like this design of a buff goblin.